CPSP International Training Program
HSE-CPSP Postgraduate Scholarship ProgrammeAPPLY ONLINE
- The College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan has entered into an agreement with the HSE (Health Service Executive) and the Forum of Postgraduate Training Bodies in Ireland to offer a postgraduate scholarship programme
- The purpose of this agreement is to permit Pakistani graduates to complete part of their training in Ireland. As part of this training, successful candidates will be supported in the ongoing development of their knowledge base and the enhancement of their medical skills and competencies within their chosen specialty. They will have direct exposure to the health system in Ireland and an opportunity to learn about alternative approaches to delivery of healthcare services
Training is available in the specialties:
- 1. Psychiatry
- This scholarship aligns with the World Health Organization’s Global Code of Practice on the Recruitment of International Health Personnel and has won international acclaim as an example of best practice in Code Implementation. Following the 2-year scholarship, candidates must return to complete their exams and training in Pakistan and not seek further employment in Ireland for a minimum of 12 months after completion of the programme.
- Under the terms of the scholarship, successful candidates will be awarded a bursary which will cover the costs of return travel to Ireland, registration with the Medical Council in Ireland, and accommodation and induction on arrival in the country. On commencement in post, candidates will be remunerated and employed under national terms and conditions as applicable to doctors employed in Irish hospital services.
- The selection process will be based on initial shortlisting of candidates based on application, followed by interview for final recommendations. After interview an initial recommendation will be made to place candidates on an order of merit list, following which final recommendations are completed with reference to the order of merit and the number of scholarships available.
- Candidates will need to meet general eligibility criteria at time of application in addition to some specialty specific requirements as outlined below. This programme is not open to 4th/final year CPSP trainees.
- In the event of being successful, candidates should also be aware of additional requirements to be met within a short timeframe – see details below.
General Eligibility Requirements
At time of application, applicants must meet all the Scholarship general eligibility requirements
- Have permanent registration with the Pakistan Medical & Dental Council.
- Be eligible for registration with the Irish Medical Council.
- Each doctor may submit a certificate of test results from either the International English Language Test System (IELTS) or Occupational English Test (OET). 5. IELTS/OET test results must be current and test results cannot be combined. The HSE will only accept one test result.
Please refer to the table below for the minimum levels in each of the tests that are accepted by the HSE:
IELTS Minimum Score Listening 6.5 Reading 6.5 Writing 6.5 Speaking 6.5 Overall 7.0 OET Minimum Score Listening B Reading B Writing B Speaking B Overall B
- Have successfully passed the IMM exam (Due to the Covid Pandemic, applicants can apply with proof of booking the IMM exam in January)
- Must complete in full the application form for the programme.
- Criteria once you have received a place on the programme
- 1. Accept the training position in the clinical site the relevant training body allocates you to.
- 2. Maintain an online record of your clinical experience.
- 3. Adhere to all of the training regulations and policies of your relevant training body
- 4. Will need to be in a position to avail of this scheme for a period of two years, commencing in Post on Monday 12 July 2021.
- a. Trainees may be required to travel to Ireland 14 days prior to this to complete a mandatory quarantine period
- 5. Must return to Pakistan on completion of the 2-year scholarship and not seek further employment in Ireland for a minimum of 12 months after completion of the programme.
- 6. Should continue to complete your training in Pakistan, having received CPSP recognition for two years of training in Ireland
- 7. Be eligible to take the FCPS-2 examination provided all other conditions (viz. dissertation) have been fulfilled
Shortlisting Stage Criteria
In the event of progressing through the initial shortlisting stage, candidates will need to have evidence that he/she:
- Demonstrates proficiency in the English language, in addition to the IELTS/OET requirement. This will be assessed at interview stage
- Has travel documents (valid passport and CNIC in hand for travel by July 2021) to be registered for the July 2021 session. Passport must be valid for 12 months upon entry to Ireland, i.e. July 2021.
- Is able to provide a Police Security Clearance Certificate at the time of visa application.
- The Medical Council will require all applicants for registration who qualified outside of the European Union (EU)/ European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland to have their medical education credentials primary source verified in advance of making their application for registration. The Medical Council is collaborating with the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) to incorporate ECFMG’s Electronic Portfolio of International Credentials (EPIC) into the process for assessing the medical qualifications of graduates of medical schools located outside of the EU, EEA, and Switzerland. Specific instructions for the new process will be provided on both the Medical Council’s website and the
EPIC website : http://www.ecfmgepic.org
- Can provide complete and accurate documentation to the Irish Medical Council by the required deadline – www.medicalcouncil.ie
NOTE: IT IS REGRETTED THAT INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS CANNOT BE PROCESSED.
- For any information regarding scholarship please contact Ms. Sylvia Conception firstname.lastname@example.org
- For information related to the Health Services in Ireland, terms and conditions of employment or other contractual queries please contact email@example.com
Specialty Specific Requirements
For any assistance/help you can contact Noureen Khan , Manager, President Secretariat, College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan, 7th Central Street, Defence Housing Authority, Phase II, Karachi – 75500, Pakistan. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Contact No: 99266433, ext 258