College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan (CPSP) was established in 1962 with the efforts of elite of medical professionals under the leadership of Lt. General W.A. Burki (the then Health Minister of Government of Pakistan), by virtue of Ordinance No. XX of 1962. Fifty senior Medical professional and academicians from all over Pakistan (the then East and West wings) were admitted as the Founding Fellows.
College was established in the shadows of the Royal Colleges of UK. The rules, regulation and polices relating to examinations, training and award of qualifications were designed in consonance with those of the Royal Colleges of UK, Ireland, Canada and Australia. The college was established as a statutory autonomous body.
The responsibility of management of all the affairs and functions of the college, under the founding Ordinance, vests with the 20 members elected Council from within the fellows of College similar to the practice of the Royal Colleges established since last five centuries in UK and Ireland.
Founding President of CPSP
Lt. Gen. Wajid Ali Burki, belonged to a well known Pathan family of Basti Baba Khel, a suburb of Jullunder, East Punjab. Born on 28th Oct. 1900, he studied at Government High School and Foreman Christian School, Jallunder. He passed his college days at Government College, Lahore from 1916-1919. He completed his M. B. Ch. B in 1924 and M.D. from St. Andrews University (Scotland) in 1926.
He completed his D.O.M.S from Moorfield Eye Hospital, London.
He joined Indian Army Medical Service in 1927 and served at Jullunder, Quetta, Karachi and various other stations. He was appointed Eye Specialist, Eastern Command, from 1933-39. He also attended senior officers’ course at Milbank (U.K.) in 1932.
He, during the World War II, served in East Africa (1940-41), Middle East (1941-42) and Burma (1942-44).
He opted for Pakistan in 1947.
In Pakistan Army, he became Deputy Director General Medical Services, and was promoted to the rank of Lt. General in 1955. He was appointed Director General, Armed Forces, Medical Services.
In Oct. 1958, when Ayub Khan took over as the President of Pakistan, he was appointed as Minister of Health, Labour, Social Welfare and Village Aid in the Federal Government. He became a Senior Minister in 1959 and at times officiated for the President of Pakistan.
He was Pakistan’s Ambassador to Sweden and other Scandinavian Countries from 1963-66.
He was foresighted and visionary to play a leading role in the establishment of College of Physicians and Surgeons.
He was elected President of the College in 1963 and continued to be regularly elected till the last day of his life, in which position; he guided and inspired the College and his Colleagues, to get over the most difficult period of initial establishment of the College.
As President of the College, he made close contacts with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, U.K. and other foreign post-graduate Medical Institutions and international Health Agencies. He was awarded Fellowships of the Royal Colleges of London, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
He was awarded Doctor of Laws (Honoris causa) from Punjab in 1957, from St. Andrew in 1963 and Maryland U.S.A. in 1963.
He was interested in shooting, tennis and gardening. He was laid to eternal rest in 1989.